i discover trippin tv a few weeks ago
a new english social website based in taiwan with lots of features
one of these features that caught my attention was the blogwatch: blog reviews
they had reviewed several blogs and were pretty harsh on most
funny at times but harsh
it's all in good fun and altho' i know their reviews are pretty irrelevant as one blogs as he/she wishes to blog, i still wondered when it would my turn
i was looking forward to reading their dissection of my blog and the shots they'd take
well, the wait is over
i've been reviewed...
How many Asian people have you met in Taiwan who have stellar English and have turned out to be born in Taiwan, but spent their formative years growing up in a western country and now... low and behold they've come back to roost in Taiwan again. The answer is "Kabillions". These "Bananas" (yellow on the outside and white on the inside) are a breed slightly apart from the full-on ABC and totally different than the Taiwan local who has lived in Miaoli all his life. Some might argue they are the best of both worlds.. some might claim they are a just a bi polar, confused bunch of individuals. I call this group of people "Rexpats" (returning as expat... duh!).
Andres is a Rexpat and his blog... "andres in taiwan " is pretty damn good.
Before I launch full force into this review I need to remind our readers that while TrippinTV is a cool and hip online social network we are not necessarily only for young 20 somethings who think that partying at Mint every weekend and putting up half naked pictures of yourself drunk on your MySpace profile is the be all end all of the Internet. Its only one fun part of the Internet... and please if you are one of those people.. don't stop posting those pics! ;)
andres in taiwan immediately strikes me as a great blog for one obvious trait... BALANCE... he's got a great balance of pics and text... a great balance of personal life and mildly interesting Taiwan stuff.. and it looks like he's got a decent balance of online and off line social life... as the best bloggers always do. Andre's does a good job of showing his family life and new born child in an interesting and familial way.
So here's the basic good and bad lists.
1. Andres is a prolific photographer. His pictures are decent and a very good size on his blog... ie you don't need to click any thumbnail images to have a clue what his pics are of.
2. He keeps his text short and sweet. No lengthy (BORING) diatribes here.
3. His site has a very clean and basic interface that appeals to many.
4. He blogs with a good degree of regularity (about once every couple of days).
The bad?.. mostly personal minor quibbles of my own...
1. he's got his own grammatical/punctuation style (but thats only bad if you are a grammar natzi which i'm not)
2. Not enough VIDEO... but again thats just our thing here.
3. He's got a Xacti and I'm jealous. I've been dieing to play with one... although I really want an RCA Small Wonder
4. I'm not sure about his dreintaiwan.blogspot.com/ url.. dre is probably his nickname..? it makes me think of Dr Dre and I'm personally generally allergic to rap.
5. andre in taiwan ... no capitals. ... why oh why? (OK .. I'm a part-time grammar Natzi as long as it isn't mine!)
All in all I'd say and andre in taiwan is a really pleasant diversion style blog that you might go and read if you want at little peak into the balanced life of a taiwan Rexpat.
well, that went well
i'm a bit disappointed they didn't rip it apart some more but at the same time i'm glad they liked
hey, at least someone out there approves
still, a site with the name "trippin" has beef about grammar and spelling?
it's like an obese person calling someone fat
what a trip